Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Our trip to DC!

Ken was flying to DC for business. At the last minute I decided to drive up with the kids. I figured with his room and food paid for by work, and all of the museums are free, there would never be a better time for us to see the sites! I was a little nervous about driving that far by myself...but I plugged in Pinky (my GPS that is pink) and started off to Rockville, MD. My friend Libby used to live there and the best advice she gave me was get there before 3:00 to avoid rush hour!! After rain for 4 hours of the trip and all of the stops we had to make, I turned into my hotel at exactly 3:01!!! My next undertaking was the Metro....I have only taken public transportation a few times...school bus, 1 cab, and the subway once w/Ken (and we went the wrong way!!). So, for me to get on the Metro w/Sam and Caroline was a little intimidating. However, everyone was very helpful and patient w/all of my tourist questions and we made it around DC w/no problems!!!! :)

Sam and Caroline waiting on the Metro!
Sam blending in on the Metro w/his iPod.

I put this picture of the Treasury Dept. on here b/c Sam said the funniest thing about it. When I told him the name of the building and that they dealt w/money he said, "Mom, do not say that very loud on the street. What if someone hears you and they try and get in there!" Sometimes I want to kill him and sometimes all I can do is hug him.....!

After watching the inauguration, the kids have been so fascinated w/ Abe. We went to the Portrait Gallery and it turned out to be one of their favorite museums. They had several rooms of Presidents portraits. It was very beautiful. We even go to view the picture of Obama that was used during his campaign. A very cool place!

The Capitol.

They Smithsonian was handing out maps of all the artifacts that were in the Night at the Museum movie. Here are the kids w/ "DumDum". Actually it is the Easter Island Statue.

Rexy.
Caroline is fascinated w/whales. This was a huge Right Whale named Pheonix.

Outside of the Museum of Natural History.

The Washington Monument.
The White House. (not as big or impressive as I thought)
We walked to the Lincoln Memorial. It was a beautiful site, it was night time when we went. They have it all lit up and it is breathtaking. It is so massive in size and is very ominous. After walking all the way to it (and I will tell you that nothing in DC is as close as it seems) we climbed the stairs and Ken went to take a picture....the camera was DEAD!!! I could have hit the person next to me...I was speechless yet could have cursed...but I did not. I broke out the video camera. Not as impressive as a picture, but I can say we were there!
Overall the trip was fantastic! The kids loved it and definitely want to go back. The only downside was Ken had to work the whole time and only went out with us the one night. If you ever get the chance to go, do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment