Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The first day of school.

Every mother knows the "pressure" of getting the right teacher for your kids. You remember as a child lying awake the night before school and wondering..."Who will I get? Will she be nice? Will my friends be in my class?" Well, we have been in that mode for the past week. Here in Unionville it is such a "big ordeal" that the principal waited until the night before school to let us come to open house and find out who our teachers were. Now, most schools had their open houses 3-4 days before. Nope, not here! There was even a message sent out by phone 2 days before....."There will be no student class changes." Like, do not even ask!!!

So, Sam was the most worried. His 2nd grade teacher was moved to 3rd...oh how he wanted her again! Young, blond and laid back. She even came to see him skate! There was one other, a middle choice, and then the "I do not want her! She never smiles and is mean!" Well, he got the "middle choice" and was happy. Until we go and see she had a baby the day before and is out for 6 weeks! If that was not disappointing enough, he has NONE of his friends in his class. I felt so bad when I picked him up yesterday...Sam is so social, but to make all new friends is so hard. I tried to encourage him, but I do not think it worked. To make matters even worse, Ken is out of town! When Sam is down, a phone call is just not the same as having daddy here! I am hoping that today goes better! I was talking to my oldest friend (32 years), we never got in the same class. There was 4 of us, they were always together and with the "best" teacher. I was always put in the class that no one wanted! So I can sympathize with Sam, but I am Mom and I know nothing!

On the flip side, Caroline is thrilled with her teacher and so am I. She got Mrs. Thompson, Sam's kindergarten teacher. She was moved to 1st grade this year. I know that Caroline will come out of her class sooo strong and ready for 2nd, no doubt!

"It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions not fail. They are new every morning: Great is thy faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment